This former daughter house to Kelso Abbey sits by the south bank of the Firth of Tay on the outskirts of Newburgh. The 12th century site is now very much a ruin but spreads over an impressively large area - although there are no information boards, so it's difficult to visualise how it was originally laid out. In fact this site has another significant claim to fame: it's documented that the abbey produced whisky for King James IV in 1494, making it Scotland's first reference to the water of life. Planning permission was granted in 2015 to build a distillery next to the ruins here, returning Scotch whisky to its, er, spiritual home; whisky production and tours are now in full swing, and we'll be back to check these out in the near future.
📌 Lindores Abbey ★☆☆☆☆
Location: East end of Newburgh, Fife, G.R.: NO 244185 ///trickles.hides.sector