Sauchie Tower

Sauchie Tower is unknown to most tourists visiting Clackmannanshire's other historic tower houses. Built sometime in the mid 1400's by Sir James Schaw, comptroller (or account auditor) to James III, the property is now owned by a local heritage trust and eventual restoration may be on the cards. For now the tower is simply a derelict though attractive structure which has survived much better than the courtyard buildings that once surrounded it. It doesn't merit travelling for miles to see, but Sauchie Tower makes a logical extension to visiting nearby Menstrie Castle or Alloa Tower.

[Sauchie Tower]

Name: Sauchie Tower ☆☆☆
Location: Minor road between Fishcross and Alva, G.R.: NS 896957 ///keep.cherished.sheep
Open: Always (exterior only); very occasional guided tours of the interior
Cost: Exterior: Free

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caiy Stane

Crieff

Walk: The Mannie of Bhraggie