Hailes Castle can be found in the quiet valley of the Scottish River Tyne, reached by a network of narrow roads from East Linton and the A1. The oldest part - the central tower house - dates to the early 1200's, making it one of Scotland's oldest stone castles. Several extensions followed over the following centuries, but the castle fell into ruin after being seriously damaged by Oliver Cromwell's army in 1650. More survives than first appearances suggest - the best preserved side faces away from the road, above the river - making the ruin well worth a (free) visit, perhaps combined with a wander up nearby Traprain Law. The pleasant linear walk from Haddington to East Linton also passes by on the opposite river bank, with the castle easily visited properly by a short detour. Arrive late in the day to catch the best light for photos.
Name: Hailes Castle ★★★☆☆
Location: Minor road 2 miles south-west of East Linton, G.R.: NT 575758 ///shuffles.flags.fights
|[Original 13th century tower house, partially converted into a dovecot]|
|[View from the east]|
|[View from the minor road to the east]|