St Mary's Church (Haddington)
|[St Mary's Church, Haddington]|
With an idyllic setting overlooking the River Tyne, St Mary's Church, Haddington is Scotland's longest parish church, just beating St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh. Part of the building's fabric dates back to the late 14th century, when it functioned as a collegiate church. But much of the structure was destroyed in the 1540's during the English Siege of Haddington. Only the nave was immediately salvageable, going on to serve as the town's parish church for the next four centuries. But what about the ruins of the rest of the church? Well, the 1970's saw massive restoration take place following some earlier groundwork, bringing the choir, transepts and tower back under one roof. Add in a new organ, clean stonework and an immaculately painted ceiling and the result is magnificent; only by looking very closely do you begin to notice the weathering in certain spots caused by 400 years of being open to the elements. We were so impressed on our 2014 visit that we forgot to take any photographs of the interior (and our most recent visit was outside opening hours) - sorry.
|[River Tyne and Nungate Bridge, next to the church]|
📌 St Mary's Church (Haddington) ★★★☆☆
Location: Sidegate, 5-min walk south-east from Haddington town centre, G.R.: NT 519936 ///loved.cake.composers
Open (2018): Daily (generally afternoons only), May to September, plus Easter weekend
|[Through the trees]|