Lindores Abbey

Fife | Newburgh | Abbey |

[Lindores Abbey]

This former daughter house to Kelso Abbey sits by the south bank of the Firth of Tay on the outskirts of Newburgh. The 12th century site is now very much a ruin but spreads over an impressively large area - although there are no information boards on site, so it's difficult to visualise how it was originally laid out. In fact the place has another significant claim to fame: it's documented that the abbey produced whisky for King James IV in 1494, making it Scotland's first reference to the water of life. Planning permission was granted in 2015 to build a distillery next to the ruins here, returning Scotch whisky to its, er, spiritual home. Whisky production and tours are now in full swing and give a little more background to what abbey life here might have been like - see our separate Lindores Abbey Distillery page for more info.

[Lindores Abbey Distillery from the abbey]

📌 Lindores Abbey 
Location: Abbey Road, half a mile east of Newburgh town centre, G.R.: NO 244185 ///trickles.hides.sector
Open: Always
Cost: Free

[Lindores Abbey]

[Lindores Abbey]

[Lindores Abbey]

[Lindores Abbey]

[Lindores Abbey]

[Lindores Abbey]

[Firth of Tay from the north side of the abbey]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk: Island clearances on South Uist's Beinn Mhor

Berneray West Beach

Walk: Livingston's jaw-dropping waterfall