Old Inverlochy Castle

Highland | Fort William | Castle |

[Old Inverlochy Castle]

Old Inverlochy Castle is a quadrangular ruin hidden away by the River Lochy on the industrial north side of Fort William. It receives few visitors, yet this is a fairly rare, relatively unaltered survival from the 13th century. Built around 1280 for the Comyn Lords of Badenoch and Lochaber, this was a formidable fort perfect for guarding the southern approach to the Great Glen. The 3 metre-thick curtain wall was strengthened by 4 corner towers and a moat, with direct access to the river (and therefore the nearby sea loch) on the north side. The architecture is primitive reflecting the early construction date, scaffolding holds up one of the towers and views are only from floor level, but entrance is free at all hours.

[Comyn's Tower]

Location & info

📌 Old Inverlochy Castle
Off A82 1 mi northeast of Fort William town centre, G.R.: NN 120754 ///landlords.asks.toxic
Always open | Free

[River Lochy]

[View from the river]

[Ruined interior]



Popular posts from this blog

Walk: Livingston's jaw-dropping waterfall

Sawney Bean's Cave

Walk: Towpath, tunnel & Colinton Dell