Seton Collegiate Church

East Lothian | Port Seton | Church | ★★

[Seton Collegiate Church]

Dating to medieval times, Seton Church was originally built as a parish church, gaining collegiate status three centuries later in 1494: the Seton family seeking a community of priests to pray for their salvation. Today it's a peaceful place still used as an occasional wedding venue, set in tranquil woodland a little way back from the main road and car park. Left damaged at various points by English ransacking and local militia, the church was most recently repaired by the Earl of Wemyss after he gained ownership of the estate in the decades following the Jacobite uprising. The stumpy tower isn't the result of war damage though - it was just never completed. Further ruins are dotted around the sun-dappled clearing which surrounds the church.

[Seton Collegiate Church]

📌 Seton Collegiate Church ★★
A198 between Prestonpans and Longniddry, G.R.: NT 418751 ///transcribes.beamed.cope
Open daily, April to September | £5 adults / £3 children / free for Historic Environment Scotland members

[Seton Collegiate Church]

[Seton Collegiate Church]

[Seton Collegiate Church]

[Seton Collegiate Church]

[Seton Collegiate Church]

[Seton Collegiate Church]

[Seton Collegiate Church]

[Seton Collegiate Church]

[Seton coat of arms]

[Further coat of arms salvaged from Seton Palace]

[Outbuildings, including a mill]

[Entrance to the church grounds]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk: Tidal traverse to Skye's Oronsay

Walk: Livingston's jaw-dropping waterfall

Walk: The blue pools of Ballachulish