Fetternear House

Aberdeenshire | Kemnay | Historic building | ★★

[Fetternear House]

Fetternear House (also known as Fetternear Palace or the Bishop's Palace) is a large, medieval ruin found in countryside just west of Kemnay, Aberdeenshire. The house was originally built in the early 1200s as a palace for the Bishops of Aberdeen, undergoing rebuilding and enlargement over the following centuries before becoming the seat of the Leslie family in 1566. A fire in 1919 brought the mansion's inhabited life to an end, though sheep still graze around the crumbling walls. The mansion is fenced off and only viewable from the front, but several architectural features are still visible, including the fine coat of arms belonging to Patrick Leslie above the front entrance.

[Main route to the house]

Location & info

📌 Fetternear House ★★
Access from Bridge Road just west of Bridge of Kemnay, 5-min walk west of Kemnay village centre, G.R.: NJ 723171 ///tramps.extent.doll
Always viewable | Free

💬 From the car park at G.R.: NJ 728161 ///caves.activity.ruling it's a 20-min walk to the castle (each way), with a choice of two routes. Main route: follow the tarmac lane north, ignoring a path on the left after 300 m and a track on the right after 1 km. Soon after, take the next track on the right, with the house soon visible ahead. Alternative route: follow the tarmac lane north, forking left onto a path after 300 m. This soon becomes a wider track, eventually reaching a junction with a tarmac lane. Continue straight ahead to the house.



[Fetternear House]

[Fetternear House]

[Fetternear House]

[River Don, seen from the main route to the house]

[Alternative route to the house]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk: Livingston's jaw-dropping waterfall

Walk: Towpath, tunnel & Colinton Dell

Loup of Fintry