Tarves Tomb

Aberdeenshire | Tarves | Tomb |

[Tarves Tomb]

Easily missed amongst all the other historic sites around inland Aberdeenshire, Tarves Tomb is the only surviving part of an ancient church in Tarves village centre - the rest of which was be replaced by the current place of worship in 1798. The tomb is for the 16th century Lord William Forbes and Lady Elizabeth Gordon of nearby Tolquhon Castle, and is surrounded by ornate Gothic decoration; the lord and lady appear as small figures "holding up" the arch on either side. Also on display in the churchyard are the four old grave slabs shown below - at least two dating to a similar period.

[Grave slabs]

Location & info

📌 Tarves Tomb
Kirkbrae, Tarves village centre, G.R.: NJ 869312 ///awaiting.fellow.convinces
Always open | Free



[Tarves Tomb]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk: Livingston's jaw-dropping waterfall

Loup of Fintry

Walk: Where's Whangie?